August… summer is almost over; it’s time to start thinking about back to school and cooler weather and fall gardening. But not yet. Not today. Right now, in this moment, it’s time to start thinking about taking a break and savoring the moment. It’s time to indulge and enjoy. It’s time to relax. The long, hot days of late summer are perfect for spending an afternoon lazing in a hammock, or rocking on the front porch with a tall glass of lemonade. In our busy, plugged in lives, it’s easy to forget to slow down every now and then. It’s time. Take a deep breath; celebrate something slow and easy; stop and smell the roses and indulge in the good life. Make time for yourself and recharge a bit.
Here are some tips to get you started.
- Take a nap. Studies have shown that naps are healthy! Grab a comfy pillow and catch a few winks.
- Don’t want to nap? Grab a cozy throw and settle into your favorite chair and just be still for a few minutes.
- Spend time with your pet. Whether you’re sitting on the couch petting your cat or throwing a ball for your favorite pooch, time with your pet is relaxing and lowers stress levels.
- Practice some deep breathing, or meditation exercises.
- Make meals special – whether you cook at home, or get healthy take out, actually sit down, with table linens and real dishes, even light some candles and savor the experience.
- Take a long bath. Grab a glass of wine and a favorite book and indulge in a candlelit soak.
- Look around – sit on a park bench, or in your backyard, or anywhere really and take a moment to look around and really observe. Look for the beauty that surrounds you.
- Take a long walk or a leisurely bike ride. It’s good for you, and fun.
Find something that makes you feel refreshed and ready to take on the world, and then do it. Don’t feel guilty about taking that time for yourself. We need that time to be at our best. Try it; you might just be surprised at how good it makes you feel.
Besides, there’s no better way to learn to appreciate nature more than to stop for a moment and savor the quiet and beautiful things in our own lives. Every moment away from the hustle and bustle and electronics of our lives is another moment when we allow the planet to breath as well.