Yikes! It’s October already! Where has this year gone? We’re sure we’re not the only ones shouting that refrain. Meanwhile, the holidays are almost upon us, and while it might not be time to start stuffing the turkey or hanging the mistletoe, there are some things you can tackle now to get the jump on the season. And hey, bonus, doing these things now means less to do later!
With back-to-school behind us, and Halloween still a few weeks away, now is the perfect time to take a look around and start making those lists and checking them twice. And no, we don’t mean gifts.
- Clean out the linen closets and do an inventory of your bedding. If you’re expecting holiday guests, now is the right time to stock up on sheets and towels.
- Clean out the coat closet. Cooler weather is coming (or already here) which means coats and boots and umbrellas. Do the dirty work now.
- Speaking of cleaning, how’s your vacuum cleaner doing? Consider getting it cleaned and serviced before the holiday hassles. Ditto your home’s heating system and filters.
- While you’re in the cleaning mode, tackle things like the coffee pot, dishwasher and other kitchen appliances to make sure they’re ready and serviceable for heavy use.
- Take inventory of your kitchen linens. Do you have plenty of tea towels? How about a good tablecloth? Make sure you’ve got plenty of cloth napkins as well.
- Organize your pantry and do a double check of all cookware you’ll need for the holidays. Double check your serving pieces as well. Salad bowl? Platters? Pitchers? Do you have everything you’ll need?
- Count your seats. Got enough? Are you serving dinner buffet style, or will it be sit down? Start thinking about that now so you’ve got plenty of time to find solutions if you need to.
- Got a fire extinguisher in the house? How about in the kitchen? Are your smoke detectors working properly? Check those things before you start the holiday cooking.
- Check all your bulbs and replace any burned out ones with CFLs or LEDs.
- Add some pretties to your guest bath—scented candles and luxurious soaps are always a nice touch.
The more you tackle well ahead of time, the less you’ll have to worry about as the holidays get closer. And that means you’ll have more time to spend with friends and family.