You’ve just gotten the keys to your new place and you’re ready to move in and settled down. Before you unpack anything, consider giving the place a good cleaning.
Wait, what? Yep. We’re suggesting cleaning before you move in. It doesn’t matter if you’re moving into a brand-new home, or a place that’s been professionally cleaned before you move in. Unless you know the cleaning folks were in right before you, and they used eco-friendly cleaning products, it won’t hurt to give your new home a good wipe down. Most cleaning services are only doing a “surface” clean, and if there have been potential renters, or maintenance workers in the place since it was cleaned last, there’s likely to be dust and grime. Even new homes aren’t immune, it takes time for all the dust from construction to settle.
A move-in cleaning doesn’t have to be an extensive, or difficult process. It’s a quick and easy do it yourself project, or you can hire an eco-friendly cleaning service to do it for you. It’s also the perfect opportunity to inventory what cleaning supplies and products you’ll need for your new space and stock up on those items.
- Do a quick dust and vacuum – getting everything from ceiling corners to closet shelves.
- Mop any hard floors with plain water. If the water gets too dirty, you might want to use a cleaner.
- Wipe counters, sinks and other surfaces with a damp cloth – these shouldn’t require real cleaning.
- Look at installed blinds, do they need to be cleaned or vacuumed?
- Look at windows and mirrors, do they need to be wiped?
- If there’s wall-to-wall carpet, when was it last cleaned and with what? Deciding whether or not to have them cleaned with a more eco-friendly cleaner is up to you.
That’s it. The whole process shouldn’t take long, and when you’re done, you’ll know more about what you need to keep your new place clean the green way.
- Is there more than one bathroom? Make cleaning quick and easy by storing eco-friendly cleaners in each bathroom.
- Set up your kitchen sink so you’re ready for family meals. Find a place for your cleaners and invest in planet-smart sponge alternatives for washing dishes.
- Do you have a broom and dustpan for your new place?
Use your move-in cleaning as a way to test-flight your new home and plan your needs and supplies. It’s fast, easy, and you’ll rest easier knowing that your new place was not only clean, but green, when you moved in.