You’ve put a lot of time and effort into making your home a sanctuary, a space that sustains you. Even your office is filled with things that are good for you and good for the planet. The question is, how do you take all that tranquility with you when you travel? Whether it’s for business or pleasure, staying in a hotel or vacation rental can throw you out of your comfort zone. The answer? Take along tranquility – just bring a little with you wherever you go.
With just a little effort and preplanning, you can easily pack a few items to make any hotel space feel more homey. Take a small scented candle along whenever you travel and a small framed photo of your family or partner. Those little touches can make any temporary space feel more personal. Forgo the anonymous hotel toiletries and pack along your own luxurious, and sustainable, lotions and potions to feel truly pampered. When you get into your temporary space, immediately unpack your personal items and light a candle to “claim” the space as your own and feel more at home.
Other things you can do to make even the most temporary, impersonal hotel room feel more tranquil:
- Ask for a room with a pleasant view, away from elevators and stairwells.
- Drape a scarf over the bedside lamp to create a softer light, or use dimmers if they’re available.
- Open the window for a minute, even if it’s very hot or very cold outside, that little breath of fresh air is amazing.
- Turn on your favorite music to create a relaxing, familiar sound.
- Bring in some nature – pick up a small bouquet of seasonal flowers to bring some color and fragrance into your space.
- Turn off and close the doors on the TV. You don’t want to wake up to something unpleasant, or noisy.
- Unless this is a one night stay, use the closet and drawers. Nothing makes a room feel more temporary than living out of your suitcase.