You’re ready to take down the tree and decorations, and you’ve even stocked up on holiday ornaments for next year. Now how do you ensure all of those treasures, so full of memories past and good times yet to come make it through the year in good shape? By taking a little time to pack them right.
Grab some acid-free tissue paper, or recycled paper paper towels (most are acid-free), or even a stack of clean dish towels. Add a small, soft paintbrush and some white glue and you’re ready to go.
- Start by removing all your ornaments from the tree and giving each a quick dust with the brush to remove any dirt or tree debris.
- Take a moment to apply a small amount of white glue to any minor cracks or chips, then let the ornament dry. Don’t try to paint chipped spots—the colors are almost impossible to match. Seal it with a glue that dries clear and accept the chip as part of the ornament’s history.
- Wrap each ornament in acid-free paper, taking care to tuck the hanger away from the surface to prevent scratches.
- Place the ornaments in a sturdy container—not plastic, it could trap moisture—then store away from extreme temperature changes (which means your attic and basement are not the best places).
That’s it. Your ornaments are now safe and ready to store. We’ve got some additional tips to help keep your holidays merry and bright.
- Broke an ornament? Save the cap and hook. Store extras in a small container along with your ornaments. That way if another ornament is missing a piece, it’s easy to replace.
- Repurpose egg cartons, cardboard wine cases and any other container you can find to store non-vintage ornaments. Just make sure the container is clean and completely dry.
- Divided cardboard boxes for bottles of wine or drinking glasses make great ornament storage.
- Keep like with like and store displays together—you’ll thank yourself when it comes time to decorate next year.
- Consider sealing fabric and stuffed ornaments in zip-top bags made from recycled plastic, especially if you are storing your decorations in the attic or basement.